Privacy online is somewhat a misleading idea, since we can be tracked in many ways when we are using the Internet. However, there are several ways you can limit the amount of privacy invasion, which si what this guidance sheet is all about.
Lets define what privacy is
noun, plural pri·va·cies for 5, 6.
- the state of being apart from other people or concealed from their view; solitude; seclusion:
- Please leave the room and give me some privacy.
- the state of being free from unwanted or undue intrusion or disturbance in one’s private life or affairs; freedom to be let alone:
- Tourists must respect the tribe’s privacy.
- Those who wish to smoke can do so in the privacy of their own homes.
- freedom from damaging publicity, public scrutiny, secret surveillance, or unauthorized disclosure of one’s personal data or information, as by a government, corporation, or individual:
- Ordinary citizens have a qualified right to privacy.
- There is so much information about us online that personal privacy may be a thing of the past.
- the state of being concealed; secrecy:
- Before he told us of his plans, he insisted on total privacy.
- Usually privacies. Archaic a personal matter that is concealed; a secret.
- Archaic. a private or secluded place.
Guidance Specific to Online Privacy
Protecting your Online Privacy – When we browse the internet, we leave breadcrumbs of our activity. This blog post explains the issue around privacy and how you can protect yourself.
Nation State Privacy – In this blog I go into a number of privacy issues when traveling other countries, and in particular about a new items at the point I write the blog regarding nation state privacy laws and how you can fall foul of them.
Encrypted Website Lookup – Domain name Lookup is a service that resolves a typical web address into a machine readable format. This blog explains what Encrypted DNS is, what the benefits are in using it and some means by which you can use it today (as of writing).
Email Tracking – Email can be tracked using very simple means. This guidance provides some strategies to help defend yourself.
Managing and Stopping Spam – We all receive unsolicited emails ad IM’s. This guidance provides a number of tips to help you combat this problem and make your online experience productive.
- Using Free and Public WiFi
- Securing your Online Accounts
- The Dangers of using Unsupported Hardware an Software
- Guidance on Effective Use of Passwords
- Guidance on Preventing Credential Stuffing Attacks
Headline image provided by Shutterstock.